Sunday, September 8, 2013

450x104 copy 18.jpg
Richmond Restoration

Date Night!

This is going to be a tricky one.  To be honest, I don't know if I am writing this post for women or for men, but I hope both will get something out of it.

First, let me say that I think affection and romance make life worth living.  If you are one of the people who derive pleasure out of other people's misery, this post is not for you.  On the other hand, if you enjoy making your partner happy, lend me an ear.

I think most women like to be pampered.  I think most men like to make women happy.   My philosophy is straight out of Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus by John Gray, PhD.  Gray is a lot smarter than I am and I highly recommend his variety of books.  This post is to suggest ways for this to be accomplished almost for free!





Let me stop here to say I've learned that Date Night is essential - whether it's a teenage relationship or a 30 year marriage - partners need to show appreciation for each other.  Too many women think after marriage they don't deserve flowers.  Too many men think they said "I love you" when they were courting and that's enough.

I'm putting it out there:  women DESERVE to be pampered.  Men deserve to reap the rewards!  Don't mess with the natural order of things, however.  We women warm up rather slowly, so the pampering comes first!

My boyfriend says, "Men are simple creatures.  We're like dogs.  Feed us, rub our bellies a little, and we're good!"  Wise, yes?

Most will agree that women are a bit more complex and it is our job to teach our men what makes us happy. For instance, I have this old-fashioned thing about the man walking on the curb side of the sidewalk.  I got it from my Dad.  Of course, it's irrelevant in 2013, but it makes me happy.  Similarly, when I was a teenager in the 60's (yikes), my boyfriend carried my books to school. I was strong enough to carry them myself but I loved the attention and care!

It's easy to impress some women by throwing money around, and I understand that financial success is an especially male measure of accomplishment.  But you probably wouldn't be reading this if you had unrestricted cash to get the girl!  So let's get back to an affordable date night... 

When my son Alex was a teenager and learning how to impress a girl he had his eye on, I suggested a ride on the Staten Island Ferry (free).  Then, I suggested lunch at an Italian restaurant and a free ferry ride home.   
Staten Island is also home to a great living history Museum.  Richmond Restorations is reasonable - $8 for adults, less for seniors, students, & children - and for history buffs like me, it's heaven!

The Staten Island Yankees didn't exist then, but they do now, and a minor league baseball game has all the goofy fun of a day at the ballpark without the astronomical price of the Bronx Bombers. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the Yankees and I used to be a season ticket holder.  After my divorce I had to take a serious look at my expenses.  Alex was in college and no longer around for the games.  He was the reason I got the tix in the first place and the new stadium was offering us peons shitty seats and no post-season privileges.  So after about 7 years of proudly calling myself a Yankee season ticket holder, I gave it up...and I survived.  If you are a Mets fan, try the Brooklyn Cyclones in Coney Island.

There's something very romantic about the water, and keeping w/ the theme, Governor's Island is opened weekends until September 29th. You can catch the free ferry downtown right next to the Staten Island Ferry.  And don't forget the East River Ferry. It isn't free but a one way ticket is only $4.  You could hop around Brooklyn all day w/ a $12 All Day pass.

In the other direction - up - how about a tram ride to Roosevelt Island on a clear night, dinner, and a tram ride back?  The tram ride is only $2.50 each way.  Find a good restaurant here.  

A recent discovery that I'm very excited about is Comedy Clubs.  For more than 20 years I have live 2 blocks away from the Comic Strip Live and I am embarrassed to say I had never been there.  A friend invited us and what a delightful evening.

Don't we all need to laugh?  I know I do.  After 20 years in the network news biz, I confess I get most of my news these days from Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and Bill Maher.  OK I read the NYTimes online and listen to NPR, but these days I need my news seriously softened by comedy.

Visit Groupon to get a $10 ticket for 2, with a reasonably priced 2 drink minimum.  There are no coupons or awkward pieces of paper involved if you download it to your smart phone.  You just flash your phone and look like you're a VIP!  There are a variety of comedy clubs available.  Check it out.  Even if you don't get lucky, you'll laugh your ass off!

I love theater and it's not cheap.  For detailed ideas see my Valentine's Day (2/14) post That's Entertainment.  One of the best choices is the St. Jean's Players.  $25 (or less if you use a TDF Voucher) gets you their upcoming musical Fiddler on the Roof in November.  Also, New York is home to LaGuardia High School which puts on professional quality musicals by students that will blow you away!  Also $25. This year's production is Grease.

When all else fails, a slow walk under the stars (OK it's New York, I know, but they're out there...) and some fresh flowers ($12 for 2 dozen roses at Gristede's on 86th Street and dozens of other grocers around town) can work wonders.  Ladies & gentlemen, start your engines!

Timely Thrift

Check out this list of free concerts given by Julliard students and faculty.  Legendary bassist Ron Carter is scheduled - for free!

Please take a minute and sign up to follow me on my blog and leave a comment.  I really want to hear what you think.  Thank you!

My children will laugh but I am going to conquer Free Tech next time!  If you are in New York, don't forget to vote on Tuesday, September 10th.

Keep calm & carry on...Lori Bores

No comments:

Post a Comment