Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Almost Free Tech

I  

I am reading a fabulous book called Citizenville by Gavin Newsom.  The subtitle is How to take the Town Square Digital and Reinvent Government.

After the recent abysmally low turnout primaries in New York City, it seems especially relevant to promote this book.

Now, I am the first person to admit that as one of the (over 30) "digital immigrants"  - as opposed to many of you (under 30) "digital natives" - I am far from the most technically savvy person you know! However, I may be the most thrifty, so allow me to share some of my tidbits...


Sharing a data plan is a wise way to save on ridiculous smart/cell phone plans.  I have an iPhone, but my parents have regular cell phones and they do not text, so I combined everyone on one bill, which saves about $30 a month on what it would cost for my parents to have a separate cell phone bill. Should one or both of my parents upgrade to a smart phone, we will share a data plan.  The sharing economy is thrifty!

To save on data usage, be sure to use WiFi on your smartphone whenever you can.  Keep the switch on so your phone is always looking for free WiFi networks.  2 years ago, I foolishly spent a fortune on a data plan because I was traveling out of the country.  When I needed to speak to my son stateside, my Blackberry didn't work, but my boyfriend's iPhone w/(free) WiFi did!  Lesson learned.

WiFi is everywhere.  Brooklyn Bridge Park’s Pier 5 and Foley Square join 26 other city parks locations across the five boroughs that have free AT&T Wi-Fi.  For a full list of locations, click here.
By now, everyone knows about Skype, right?  Every time I use it, I think back fondly of the Jetsons!
Showing my age, I know, can't help it.  Seriously, I am grateful to be living w/ this great technology all around us.  It's phenomenal when it works!  To be honest, it's easier for me to use Apple's Face Time, but you can only do it w/ other Apple owners.

I discovered a great tip this summer.  I am one of those culture vulture nerds who needs to have a multimedia experience whenever I visit a tourist attraction.  This used to mean renting - for an additional hefty charge to the already hefty admission charge - the bulky headphone sets with the device hanging around your neck.  This year, I bought a .99 app to Barcelona (yes, I have a very generous traveling boyfriend) and at every Gaudi structure I had a guided tour!

Wherever you are going to travel, foreign or domestic, I highly recommend doing a little advanced Googling to see if there are apps to promote your location.  You could save a bundle.  Here in NYC, Central Park has an Audio Guide for any mobile phone.  Just dial 646-862-0997, then the extension listed  on the signs in the park, and a celebrity will tell you all about it! There is also a free app for smart phones.

Since all of our essential electronic devices occasionally (!) lose power, you'll be excited to learn that NYC has free, solar-powered charging stations across the five boroughs.  The charging stations are set up in the following locations:
Manhattan:
  • Riverside Park, Pier I 
  • Union Square Park, North Plaza  
  • Rumsey Playfield, Central Park Summerstage
  • Hudson River Park Pier 59
  • Randall’s Island
Brooklyn:
  • Brooklyn Bridge Park, Pier I 
  • Fort Greene Park 
  • Coney Island
  • Metrotech Plaza
  • The Dumbo Arts Festival
  • The Brooklyn Book Festival
Queens:
  • Rockaway Beach, Clearview Golf Course, Socrates Sculpture Park
Bronx:
  • Orchard Beach
Staten Island:
  • Governor’s Island,  La Tourette Golf Course, Staten Island Zoo
Finally, my last free tech device is a little thing I attach to my iPhone to collect credit card payments.  
It's called Go Payment from Intuit.  I don't regularly collect credit card payments, but if I ever get it together to purge my extensive record collection, I'll be able to take credit cards!  Seriously, if you have any kind of business, this is a godsend.  The device is free.  Intuit charges a 2.75% fee (or less, depending on how you set it up) to process the transaction, which goes into your account, no muss, no fuss!  Try it, and let me know if you like it...

Timely Thrift

In my "Back to S---l" post, I talked about the value of planning vs. the joy of spontaneity.  I wrote about finding something you need @ 90% off.  On Sunday, I went to one of my favorite chain stores CVS to buy some items that were on sale (of course) and I saw a cart of back to school items @ 90% off!
I bought 3 sets of ear buds for 49 cents each and a cool Lego-style silicone notebook, also for 49 cents.  Do I need 3 sets of ear buds?  I have 2 children, 5 nieces & nephews and Christmas is coming...

Please let me know how you like or don't like the blog by signing in to follow me and leaving a comment. Thank you.

Keep calm & carry on...Lori Bores

No comments:

Post a Comment