Friday, February 22, 2013

Hair & Makeup

Hair & Makeup

Doesn't everyone - OK especially women - feel good when they look good?  Growing up in the 60's, I used to fight this concept.  I wanted to be valued for my intelligence, not my puffy Italian hair.  Well, I've grown up and realized that looking gorgeous not only makes one feel good, it's power!  We are visual people.  The first impression is a lasting one and Aristotle said, "Personal beauty is a greater recommendation than any letter of reference."


So whether you are at work, or at home, or going for a run, it is important to always look good...for you!  Make it a priority...and here's how to save money doing it.

Let's start w/hair.  I've had both short and long hair and I think I look good with both, but short hair requires much more maintenance.  When I was in my 20's and then again after I had my first baby, I needed a haircut every 4 weeks and it cost a fortune.  So I believe longish hair is the way to go.  I'm blessed w/Italian hair, so almost any competent stylist will do.  I look for deals on Groupon  in my neighborhood, and have met some great hair stylists.

Several times I've received free haircuts from students, or junior stylists at big name salons.  It's important to ask if you have a say in the hairstyle you are about to receive - gratis...and it's useful to remember one of my favorite truisms: what's the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut?  Two weeks!  To find a salon that's looking for models visit Bumble and Bumble and sign up.  If you have the type of hair they are looking for, you will be treated to a prestige stylist for free.  Once you've had a haircut, you can request a free color process, too.

Toni & Guy selects models for free haircuts at their New York salon on Friday evenings at 5:30p.  Then you return to the salon for your appointment on Mon - Wed morning.  Toni & Guy do this at their salons around the country, so find one near you.  You may have to call to get the scoop on being a "model."

For a good roundup of salons that offer reduced price services go to New York Magazine.  The $20 haircuts and freebies are at the bottom of the list.

For kids in kindergarten through 6th grade, JC Penney gives free haircuts every Sunday. Find a store near you and book an appointment for your babes. 

Finally, bangs are so back, thanks to First Lady Michelle Obama!  


It takes a little practice, but if you are brave, you can easily learn how to cut your own bangs by watching a variety of DIY videos on YouTube, and it will keep your look styled between salon visits.  Here is just one of many videos:

It goes without saying that a very sharp hair cutting scissor is a wise investment.  Pick one up at the summer street fairs.  
I also color my own hair.  Nothing fancy, just the color I was born with before the silver streaks inexplicably began to appear!  Remember your hair gets lighter with age, so pick a color accordingly.  I have an old flannel bathrobe I call my hair coloring robe.  You can use a cape like at the salon.  I also saw a resourceful woman using 2 large plastic bags from Target crisscrossed over her shoulders!  Here's a helpful video:

Always start by applying Aquaphor or another thick cream around your hairline to prevent staining your face. After applying the color, cover your head w/ a disposable plastic shower cap because the heat helps the coloring process.  Color just the roots or the dye will dry out the ends of your hair.
--------------------------------

One last video on blowdrying your hair:


OK, gorgeous...next time I'll share the secrets about the Magic of (cheap) Make-up!

I always want to hear what you think about my blog.  Please sign in and make a comment.


Keep calm and carry on...Lori 


No comments:

Post a Comment