Friday, February 8, 2013

Eating Well @ Home


Eating Well @ home

   As a percentage of money we spend, food at home has actually come way down, for reasons both good:  we're eating less red meat, and not-so-good: the growth of processed and genetically modified foods.  There has been a transformation, however, in getting food on the table at home: the way we shop.


    In the 60's & 70's, my Mom used to shop weekly at a local supermarket, with a special trip only to the butcher.  My Grandma would come over every Sunday, spread out flyers from the big Sunday newspapers and cut coupons.  There was no Costco, no Fresh Direct, no food-selling drug stores, no real competition.

   Today, I don't think I ever do a big supermarket shopping trip.  Instead, I patronize Costco, Fresh Direct, drugstores, street fruit and vegetable vendors & supermarket sales only.

   In 2013, Costco almost goes w/out saying.  I make a trip about every 6 weeks with my computer list in hand.  I keep a stack of pre-printed Costco lists on my refrigerator and check off items as I run out.  
Costco list

   You can create your list alphabetically, or by the aisles in the store, or by similar categories, or like me just when the item pops into my frazzled head!  I think you will find that spending a little time to make a list in your computer saves significant time in the store, and prevents the horror of realizing you forgot to get something crucial!
   
Costco's prices cannot be beat and they treat their workers very well.  I had the pleasure of meeting the CEO of Costco at a dinner at which he and my college aged son were being honored for their work with labor unions. I love shopping at Costco, but just remember what my dear cousin Fran used to say,

 "When you buy in bulk, you eat in bulk!"


  For other food venues, you need to know your prices to be sure you are getting the best deal.  Save your food receipts for a month or better yet start a notebook listing the items you purchase most often:  milk, apples, yogurt, etc.  Compare the prices you paid and/or take notes when you visit stores to come up with the rock bottom price for each item.

   Most likely, the rock bottom price will be when the item is on sale.  When an item you use/eat regularly is at a rock bottom price, don't buy 1, buy at least 5 to last until the next time it goes on sale.  I do this both with supermarkets - there are 3 within walking distance - and with drug stores, which are exploding both in location and products stocked! 

   My personal favorite is CVS.  They have serious weekly sales and if I use my ExtraCare card, I get money back.  Give them your email address and you'll receive discounts sent directly to your ExtraCare card...and you don't even have to carry the card.  Give your phone number and you get the benefits w/o having to carry around cards & coupons.

   I buy all of my paper products (paper towels, toilet paper, napkins) at CVS because their Earth Essentials store brand is recycled.  I'm a serious recycler but I also use a ton of paper towels, so this is how I do it guilt free!  Their Gold Emblem store brand cookies are quite tasty and they have hands down the cheapest milk prices.   

   Street fruit & vegetable vendors from Hunts Point are on multiple street corners in Manhattan and from them I get my romaine lettuce, peppers, grape tomatoes, broccoli, bananas, grapes, strawberries, etc.  This food is ripe & ready to consume, so don't buy too much because it won't last very long.  I do buy peppers to chop and freeze, which eventually become part of my delicious - and easy - turkey chili.  I usually make a weekly salad w/romaine, tomatoes, chickpeas & olives.  Yummmmm! 

   Fresh Direct is my source for wine, chopped pancetta (Italian bacon), ground turkey, and fresh fruit and vegetables not available from my local street vendor. I order only when they have free delivery days. Their everyday prices usually beat all the local supermarkets.

Fresh Direct

   Wow, this was much longer than I expected it to be, but a post about saving money on food wouldn't be complete w/o a word about leftovers.  When my children were young, I actually got them excited about leftovers!  I called it smorgasbord and let them pick what was for dinner: pizza, chicken, pasta, etc.  NEVER use the word leftover!  

   Last week, I shared some of my dining out & saving money secrets.  One reader shared a tip that I must pass on.


It looks fabulous, and my reader swears by it!  Please sign up on my blog and let me know if you try it...
As always, I look forward to your comments!

Next week: That's Entertainment!

Keep calm & carry on...Lori










6 comments:

  1. Save money! Live well! Read Almostfreeny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great suggestions, Lori. All too often I am rushing around buying dinner ingredients at the last minutes, between work and home, whatever the cost. You've inspired me to work at planning ahead to save money as well as time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jody! I so agree that planning is the key. I keep a few basics around in the freezer and/or pantry, so I can make dinner at a moments notice. Pasta is a kid - and Italian - favorite! Mix with a protein (bacon, chickpeas, cheese, etc.) and a vegetable (frozen peas, broccoli, spinach, etc.)and dinner is served! Then you can skim the sale flyers at your leisure and make lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing. Interestingly, Wegman's now has a app that organizes your shopping list by the aisles.
      http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CampaignLanding?storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&clear=true&partNumber=CAMPAIGN_42855

      I know there's no Wegman's in Manhattan, but it seems like an awesome option. And they have "everyday low prices" on stuff people always have to buy.

      And like Alec Baldwin's mother, we Central NYers LOVE Wegman's!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing. Interestingly, Wegman's now has a app that organizes your shopping list by the aisles.
    http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CampaignLanding?storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&clear=true&partNumber=CAMPAIGN_42855

    I know there's no Wegman's in Manhattan, but it seems like an awesome option. And they have "everyday low prices" on stuff people always have to buy.

    And like Alec Baldwin's mother, we central NYers LOVE Wegman's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great option! Imagine if all supermarkets did this. Thank you, Blogger Mama!

      Delete