Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Happy (French) Independence Day!

Happy (French) Independence Day!

I had the best intentions to publish this on July 4th.  I am guilty of enjoying these lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer. So let's celebrate Bastille Day (July 14), shall we?  At least France is still in the European Union...

Just finished  reading Gloria Steinem's latest book My Life on the Road.  In it, she talks about an unfinished project she had hoped to accomplish: a book with her friend Wilma Mankiller, the great Native American organizer.  Wilma died before the book could come to fruition.  Gloria hoped Wilma would "pass on her gift for creating independence."

Saving money is one of the surefire ways I know of creating independence.  It is in your hands. So let's go!




A few weeks ago, I took a flight to Fort Lauderdale on Spirit Airlines. It's a bare bones operation that charges you for snacks, drinks, luggage and the location of your seat but the prices are rock bottom.

Then on the plane they promoted a serious money saving offer: apply for the Spirit Mastercard and get 3 round trip tickets after your first purchase!  I spent less than $20 on my first purchase and I already have more than 15 thousand miles! Looks like I am going to do a bit more travelling this summer than I expected! I don't know how long this promotion will last, but I would definitely check out Spirit Air if you plan to visit one of their destinations this summer.      

It's the third quarter of the year so a reminder once again to check the quarterly 5% cash back offers on your credit cards.  Take 5 minutes to put stickers on them to remind yourself which ones to use.  For the next 3 months, I'll be getting back 5% on purchases at Staples (Old Navy), restaurants, warehouse stores (Chase Freedom), home improvement stores and Amazon (Discover), if I use the right credit card and 4% cash back on gas(Citi).





Finally, I am a big believer in timing your purchases to save money.  People in retail have a definite schedule when they put certain items on sale.  So, for instance, if you are looking for a new computer, you can do your research anytime, but make the purchase in November.  Online and in the stores they've got to move the merch!  It's just like buying a car.  Go at the end of the quarter, when sales people have to show their numbers so they're more likely to deal.

And by the way, the internet has made almost everything negotiable these days.  Retailers know you can get almost anything online, often for much less.  If you have solid facts behind you (and it's only a Google search away) a salesperson would be foolish not to make a deal to get the sale.

By now it should be pretty obviously that I spend way too much time reading tipsheets, hacks, and DIY sites!  I hope you are enjoying the fruits of my obsession.

I would like to hear from you about your favorite ways to save money!  The best suggestions will be featured in a future issue, with full credit to the reader who suggested it.
Sign up to follow my blog or to receive it by email so I know how to reach you if I have questions.

Keep calm and carry on....Lori
               
                               

No comments:

Post a Comment