Tuesday, February 24, 2015

A New Computer!! 


Is your computer so slow you want to throw it out the window?  Are you delaying cutting the cable cord because you think your computer cannot handle it?  I am about to rock your world.

Crucial, a computer hardware company I discovered a few years ago, offers DIY memory upgrades that couldn't be simpler, even if you are less than confident about your computer skills.

Full disclosure here:  I frequently blame the type of nerdy guys I wouldn't date in high school  - we used to call them the AV (audio/visual) nerds - for all the unfriendly computer stuff out there.  It can be very intimidating. 


I still rely on my brilliant, yet not always available 24 year old son (love you Alex!) when I'm really stuck on a tech issue.  A few years ago I upgraded my desktop w/ WindowsXP by ordering chips from Crucial and getting instructions by phone while Alex was riding in a car to a college debate tournament!  Now, as Alex says, all the answers are on google.

Crucial takes it one step further.  You visit the site and it will read the computer you are using and tell you how much memory your desktop or laptop can handle, how much it will cost to buy it and how to install it!  The site has easy "how to" videos, too.

I doubled my RAM - from 4GB to 8GB - for about $250.  That's a lot less than buying a new laptop, and now it's faster and runs videos without stopping and buffering all the time.  The process couldn't have been faster.  You just turn everything off, snap in the chip and you're done.

Binghamton

I went to what was then called SUNY Binghamton in the 1970's and when I went out into the real world I felt that no one had ever heard of it. I was a little embarassed and defensive about it. Today, Binghamton University is widely known as one of the public Ivy's and there is serious competition to get in,  Paul Reiser and Billy Baldwin are graduates.  And so I was delighted to learn that another alum has written a Hollywood movie The Rewrite, starring Hugh Grant and Marissa Tomei and it is based on the Binghamton campus. 


I streamed it a couple of days ago and I loved it.  OK, it's your basic chick flik, but the jokes about Binghamton were very funny.  There's eye candy for men - Marissa Tomei - and for women - Hugh Grant - with some excellent Allison Janey and JK Simmons thrown in for fun.

Check UR Statements

More than a year ago, I took advantage of a promotion for EnterpriseCarShare which required me to provide my credit card.  They said if I didn't use the service in 3 months, the card would not be charged.  I didn't and it wasn't.

Fast forward to last summer.  The same promo people were on the same street but this time my situation had changed.  I had moved, my car was on the fritz and I wondered if this car sharing idea was still available to me so I asked. They asked for my credit card.

On my next Discover Card statement, there was a charge for $40.  I disputed the charge and it was temporarily credited.  On my next statement, I received paperwork from Enterprise that included no signature and the credit was reversed.  I disputed it again.

Never one to give up, I spoke to a supervisor at Discover, who suggested I call Enterprise and tell them to cancel my membership, and to ask for a credit.  Enterprise was very cooperative and the issue was finally resolved.

The point is "memberships" do not require your signature and are automatically billed UNTIL YOU CANCEL. So check your statements!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enjoyed this blog, please forward it to a friend.  I'm very interested in what you think, and if you sign up as a follower of the blog, you can leave a comment and I promise to reply! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment