Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Travel Time

Travel Time

Yours truly chilling in Jamaica


After the unspeakable Winter many of us in the US have had, I think we all need a little change of scenery. Of course travel can take a big bite out of your budget, but in the new sharing economy there are some surprising ways to save.

At the top of my list is AirBnB.  I like people so I prefer the places where the hosts live at home and give guests an extra room & bathroom.  If you want more privacy, there are tons of listings that lend you the whole home, but at a higher price.

The beauty of AirBnB is that you get to know the host by email before you ever make a reservation. AirBnB takes care of all the finances so there's no awkward negotiating with strangers.  There are other sharing sites like Windu, couchsurfingHomeAway, etc. depending on the level of privacy you require vs. the cost. Sharing sites have hosts all over the world. There are so many more options than there were just a few years ago, so don't let the imagined high cost of accommodations keep you at home.


Similarly, travelling by bus has become so much more pleasant and so much cheaper than it was when I was going to college.  The advent of Boltbus & megabus has seriously improved bus travel over Greyhound which owns BoltBus.

I recently took a BoltBus from New York to Philadelphia and back.  It cost just $27 round trip!  Had I driven it would have cost more in gas.  I left the driving to them and slept in a clean, comfy seat w/WiFi and plug-ins so I could charge my phone on the way! It would have cost up to 3 times that much on Amtrak and the bus let me off right at the Amtrak station. It was a thoroughly pleasant experience.

BoltBus travels to limited, popular cities in the Northeast and West Coast.  MegaBus has a much larger itinerary. Check both, and save your money for some serious restaurants & sightseeing!

Credit Card

As the end of the quarter is approaching, it's time to call or visit the website of your credit cards to get an
update on which categories are earning extra rewards.  A small piece of masking tape with the percentages noted will help to remind you which card to use.  I have a Chase Freedom card and I've set it up so that they notify me (by text or email) to sign up for the new categories.  Discover needs to be activated, too.

Free Film

Next Tuesday, 
Dara Kell & Christopher Nizza: Dear Mandela will be shown at the gorgeous
Atrium Theater at Lincoln Center at 7pm.  They actually have a terrific series of concerts and films and lectures for free or at reduced prices.  Thursday concerts are free courtesy of target.  Check out the link for a schedule.

If you enjoyed this blog, please forward it to a friend.  I'm very interested in what you think, and if you sign up as a follower of the blog, you can leave a comment and I promise to reply!  Thank you!

Keep calm & carry on...Lori Bores

No comments:

Post a Comment