Thursday, December 26, 2013

Thrift Gifts

Other than the items I made, this year for my son and my daughter and my Mom, I bought my favorite gift at a Thrift Shop.  The item is for my boyfriend and like a good boyfriend should, he reads my blog. So, I am not going to reveal here what the gift is (yet)!  But the point here is 1) you can find unique, wonderful gifts at a Thrift Store and 2) if the recipient doesn't appreciate Thrift Store ingenuity, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate the relationship!


Gifts have meaning.  If funds are unlimited, it is not unreasonable to expect an expensive gift.  Those of us in the 99% have to learn to show we care with innovation and creativity, not cash.  A wise friend said recently "money just covers the cracks" in a relationship.

My daughter is having an unusual year in that 7 of her 8 teachers are men.  So I wrapped up 7 beautiful silk ties that I got in the thrift store for $5.  The female got a handmade candle in a glass container I got from the thrift shop.

Most of the great thrift shops are having sales now, but January is also the time to check out the retail options.  For years every January I stocked up on items from The Body Shop and gave them to teachers, hair dressers, MS trainers at the Y, etc. either throughout the year or the following Christmas.  Gels and creams don't take up a lot of room but they are so appreciated...and it relieves your stress next year!

It's best to do 75% of your shopping for the year in January.  Seriously.  Stores are practically giving it away in January so if you see something that Mom would like for her birthday, buy it now and save 50 - 90%.

Now, don't go crazy.  The holiday stuff is very tempting and I love Christmas, but I keep repeating to myself 11 months of storage, one month of usage!  I know longer buy things that are specifically Christmas.  But if gift bags or wrapping paper or bows are a neutral gold or silver, I stock up!

I wanted to share 2 things.  Ebates gives you a check if you shop online thru their website.  I got a check recently just for doing what we all do: shopping online!

This next item I am even more excited about.  It is truly FREE.  NYC's Office of Recycling Outreach & Education is having a Stop "n" Swap event on Saturday, January 11th at Wagner Middle School at 220 East 76th Street between 2nd & 3rd from 12 - 3pm.  If you are cleaning out stuff for the New Year, you can bring clean, reusable, portable items to share, or you can just come see what's free for the taking!  You don't need to bring something to take something.  More information is available at GrowNYC.

This is ultimate recycling and I love it!  I've started a box of things I no longer need and am looking forward to cleaning out.  I'm also looking forward to checking out other people's stuff.  Think of it as free Thrift shopping!  I'll see you there...

If you like this blog, please forward it to a friend and sign up to comment.  I really want to know what you think!  All suggestions welcome.

Keep Calm and Carry On...Lori Bores

No comments:

Post a Comment