Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pet Perks!

Pet Perks!





Full disclosure:  I am the proud and grateful owner of a 4 and a half year old Shih-Tzu named Cookie.  I refer to her as the child who doesn't talk back!  If you've figured out how crazy I am about my children, you've got an idea about the love I have for this little furball.  Look at that face.  She's got eyes to make you melt...

Raising a dog - like raising children - can be very expensive in New York.  Happily, there are multiple ways to significantly lower your costs.

First, adopt your dog.  The internet makes it possible to find whatever you are looking for - even pure breeds - at a rescue or shelter.  Be patient.  I spent months looking for a dog because I insisted on 4 characteristics:  small, no shedding, female, puppy.  I got Cookie from a shelter in New Jersey at only 8 weeks of age for $250.  I'm not sure they should have let her go at such an early age, but I am very grateful they did.

Health:
Next, get your dog spayed or neutered.  In New York City, a dog license costs $34 but if your dog is spayed or neutered it's only $8.50.  It is the humane thing to do.  There is a serious overpopulation of dogs and cats - one of the reasons why it is so easy to find your new love on the internet - so please don't contribute to it.  The ASPCA operates a mobile van in the five boroughs that neuters and spays dogs and cats for $125 or just $5 if you are on government assistance.  Pit bulls and pit bull mixes are spayed or neutered for FREE.  Find the schedule here:

http://www.aspca.org/aspca-nyc/mobileclinic/

If you live outside of New York City, call your local ASPCA or Humane Society to ask what services they provide.  Many will service your little loved one for a reasonable cost, but the BEST bargain I've found in pet care is at PETCO.  They offer regular, no appointment needed low cost vaccination clinics for dogs and cats that can save you a bundle.  Visit your local PETCO and ask for a schedule or visit:

www.luvmypet.com

Food:
After some experimentation, I finally settled on a rather expensive (for me) dry dog food, but Cookie doesn't eat much so I rationalized the expense.  I've found that she turns up her nose at the dry stuff, so I add a bit of water and/or some human food to entice her.  I keep some white rice in a bowl to add to her food if I am eating something myself that is inappropriate for a dog (like spicy Chinese food).

Snacks:
There are 2 kinds of snacks: the ordinary kind for training - Milk Bones and Alpo Variety Snaps are good and inexpensive - and the doggie crack (liver) for when you have to do something your dog really doesn't like, like a bath or a comb out!  You will have to buy the crack (and save it for very special occasions), but many retail businesses have learned that dogs bring their owners into the store and they offer yummy treats for the taking!   TD Bank, Chase, Sephora, Athleta and my local liquor store are just a few I've found in my neighborhood and don't forget the pet stores on every corner.

Clean-up:
Please don't buy plastic bags to pick up after your dog.  Think about how many plastic bags you throw out every day.  Not just shopping bags, but bread bags, frozen vegetable bags, mail order packaging, etc.  I save every kind of plastic bag, roll it up and put it in a small, snazzy cosmetic bag (which I got for free w/ purchase) and attach it to Cookie's lease.  When Cookie does her business, I'm saving money and the environment by cleaning up!

I'd love to hear how you save money on pet care...please leave a comment!

Next week, one of my favorite subjects - food!

Keep calm & pet a dog...Lori


<script>
  (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

  ga('create', 'UA-41457707-1', 'almostfreeny.blogspot.com');
  ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

2 comments:

  1. Lori, thanks for this. The ASPCA used to (don't know if they currently do) offer discounted pet care for volunteers. Also, for anyone who's struggling with the care of her/his pet(s) because of unemployment, it might be helpful to see if a pet-loving friend will agree to foster your pet for some months as you get back on your feet. Kind friends actually bought food for my cats occasionally, and those whose pets passed on "gifted" litter, food, treats, etc. I would like to re-blog this post to my animal blog with a link back to yours. Will you allow if I find out how?

    ReplyDelete